Monday, February 1, 2010

Post 2

After reading the three articles required, it really got me thinking about the importance of curriculum. I feel like I spend most of my time focusing on getting my students to learn to read and comprehend what they're reading and on them learning the basics of math, and that I really don't pay much attention to curriculum. I think it is important to consider the necessity of curriculum because it gives both teachers and students a learning path on which to follow.

I would say the the model of correlated curriculum best describes the manner in which I currently teach. My students learn different subjects, but they are also taught how those subjects are interrelated. For example, this week our theme in reading is "birds." Their stories all revolve around birds, and they learn at a science station about bird homes and their importance, in a social studies station they learn about where to locate birds in a neighborhood, and in a writing station students must choose their favorite bird (either from the readings or on their own) and write about why they chose this bird as their favorite. I actually feel like this is the best model for use in the early primary grades. I feel like the correlated model best speaks to what I am trying to teach my children. At this point, their most important needs include learning to read, and I feel like the correlated model allows me to coach them in that, while working in elements of other subject areas.

I do feel that we need a newer approach to curriculum, perhaps especially beginning in the intermediate grades. So much of the focus in early primary is teaching students to read, because if they don't have that first, it will be more and more difficult for them to uncover knowledge on their own. I know from a recent meeting in which the teachers at my school were given information regarding state testing and gearing students toward the ACT, fifth grade teachers expressed concern that there was so much curriculum and so many different things to accomplish, that they felt as though they didn't know what to teach. And this was coming from seasoned, veteran teachers! I feel like there is so much that we are expected to get these kids to master that there's no time to allow for quality of teaching. It all comes down to quantity... How much can you cram inside a student's head before he or she just shuts down from all the miscellaneous facts you want him or her to remember and regurgitate for a test?! What was it I saw in one of the articles? ... "More is less..." That's what it seems like to me. It needs to be "less is more!"

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jessica
    Good point about how the connected curriculum works for your grade level- I see that being the ideal model for kindergarten and you are right there are some many fundamental things you need to cover with your students. I agree that sometimes we get so mired in our every day minutia that we forget to see the forest through the trees. Maybe it is good to take a step back every once and a while to think about issues of curriculum and how they impact our daily teaching. Do you do curriculum planning at your school? District?

    ReplyDelete