Monday, February 22, 2010

Post 4

The domain I chose that I would like to focus on is Domain 2: The Classroom Environment. I chose this domain because I feel that if the management aspect of the classroom is not intact, then the whole classroom will fall apart. The first couple of years I taught, I really struggled with this. I would find myself wanting to scream at the kids or raising my voice all the time. Now I never have to raise my voice because I have figured out a management plan that all the children understand and can follow. They also know exactly what I expect from them at all times.

I am definitely most comfortable with Component 2C: Managing Classroom Procedures. I have worked really hard over the past few years to get classroom procedures down to a science for my students. I couldn't believe how much stress this relieved me of once I got it under control! I look at one of our new teachers this year on occasion and think to myself, "Man, she looks stressed!" And she reminds me of me in my first year of teaching. Here are some ways in which I feel that I handle classroom procedures well:

1. When my class is doing centers, every student knows his or her job. I am generally working with one group, while another is on the computer, and two others are working independently. Every day one of the independent groups is divided up so there are not five children in one spot, rather there are only two or three. For example, half of the group is doing ABC/Word Study while the other half is doing Listening. This keeps students more focused as there are not so many children all in one spot. I also have my eye on all groups at all times and if someone is not working correctly, I immediately call them on it. I don't make a big deal or take a lot of time to do it, but this lets everyone know that even though they're not sitting with me, I'm still watching them.

2. All of my transitions have a routine. Students know these routines and can recite them to me and to substitute teachers if need be. I assign helpers for certain tasks to make transitions move more quickly, and students know what their duties are before they're allowed to move on. This creates order for everyone. I even use this when implementing inside recess centers. The students are responsible for getting out the toys and for putting them back in the correct spots when it's time to clean up.

3. The ELL assistant who works in my classroom three days a week also has clear instructions on what her duties are. She receives lesson plans from me the week before so she has time to ask me any questions she might have. I also make sure to have all materials that I am providing ready for her before she arrives. I also monitor the groups she works with so if there is something she needs to do differently, I can discuss this with her at a different time.

I think that Component 2C: Managing Classroom Procedures ties in very strongly with instruction in that, if students know what is expected of them, none of us are wasting time going over things that have nothing to do with instruction. We can get right to the lesson as soon as everyone is ready, which doesn't take as long if everyone knows what to do. Plus, the procedures are set up so that there is never anything around the students that will distract them. For example, they know they are not allowed to have their crayon boxes on their desks if the only thing they need is a pencil. This prevents them from playing in their crayon boxes when they should be working.

I think that I would like to focus on Component 2B: Establishing a Culture for Learning. This is, I feel, my weak spot in classroom management. I think that I establish a culture for learning, but I would consider it only proficient. I would like to see what I can do to improve in this component.

2 comments:

  1. I forgot to add in a question for folks to think about: What are some examples and/or ideas you have of how to reach a distinguished level in establishing a culture for learning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your examples for how you maintain a routine with your kids- I think transitions and routines are so important and it sounds like you have organized your classroom with order to decrease off task behavior. Establishing a culture for learning encompasses a multitude of things. You have clearly started this with your clear expectations for behavior. What specifically do you want to work on? Is there part of your classroom culture that you are not as happy with or think that you can improve upon?

    ReplyDelete