Monday, March 1, 2010

Post 5

Well, I initially did a search on Classroom Management but wound up finding information on Motivating Students instead! This was actually a good thing because I need to focus more on student motivation anyway, as opposed to classroom management.

I found some really interesting information on project-based learning when I was searching. Teachers and students alike talked about how much more motivated students are when the learning is project-based and over a longer period of time. This is also a great way to cross over into different subjects, instead of a slotted time for phonics, math, science, social studies, etc. Students were much more engaged and came up with amazing end products when participating in project-based learning.

Reading about project-based learning and watching a video in which teachers talked about the successes of their projects, it really made me think about what I could do to incorporate this into my classroom. Really, the only way I do this in some form is that we have a weekly language arts theme in my room and all the stories we read and the centers the kids do are on the same theme. For example, this week our theme is "What Scientists Do." Today in the science center, the students experimented with magnifying glasses and recorded their findings. In the social studies center they will be talking about inventions that were made long ago and writing about them. In the writing center they will be talking about what type of job a certain type of scientist has (they get to pick what type). I'd like to be able to extend something like this into a project-based learning activity, which would consist of a longer period of time and a more in-depth attitude.

The information I read regarding project-based learning showed that all students showed improvement in participation and motivation. Their understanding in several subjects improved, as they were able to apply their knowledge to real-world events and see how knowledge of subjects can be intertwined. I think this would really help my ELL students especially, as one of the most important things for them is to make connections between the language and what they are learning... which is obviously important for English-speaking students as well.

I think as far as my inquiry plan goes, I will be focusing on how project-based learning can motivate students. This will be relevant to my classroom in that I really want to see what I can do to encourage my students to be motivated to learn. Many of them are already this way, but there are some whose only encouragement to learn and become the best they can be comes from me, not their parents. I think this will impact their learning by increasing their enthusiasm for school and their thirst for knowledge. I'm hoping to do this by implementing some sort of project-based learning activity for my class... hopefully something that will take longer than a week, as most activities I read about lasted a number of weeks. Here's hoping!

Anyone have any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Jessica, this sounds very interesting. I was wondering, does your school/district subscribe to PD360? On this website, there is access to TONS of videos, articles and even discussion boards. Perhaps you can find ideas for project-based learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea for project based learning for your inquiry. One thing that I have found helpful is when the projects come from something that the kids care about- I know this can be tricky when you have a set curriculum that you have to cover but thinking about even your example about "what do scientists do" --perhaps you could just change this to something like "what happens whey we get sick" and take it from that perspective--something clearly they all have had an experience with. I like the idea of coming up with a topic and maybe extending it to a couple of weeks and really diving into the project based learning aspect.

    ReplyDelete